- The penalties for a first DUI or drunk driving case in New Jersey are as follows:
- Up to 30 days in the county jail,
- Mandatory $500 fine as well as court costs and mandatory assessments totaling up to about $800
- 12 hours in the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (alcohol classes)
- License suspension between 7 and 12 months (3 to 7 months if the DUI is solely observation or blew between .08 and .10 on the breathalyzer test)
- $1,000 surcharge on their insurance for 3 years as well as any other insurance increases by the individual’s insurance company.
A drunk driving first offense, here in the State of New Jersey, results in the individual facing up to 30 days in the county jail. They’re facing a mandatory $500 fine as well as other court costs and mandatory assessments that total up to around $800. They are also facing 12 hours in what’s called the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center. What that means is that there are 12 hours of alcohol classes associated with a first offense DUI.
In addition, the individual is facing a license suspension of between 7 and 12 months, unless their DUI is solely by observation or they blew between .08 and .10 on the blood alcohol content breathalyzer test, in which case they’re facing a 3 to 7 month license suspension. Lastly, in either event on a first offense DUI in the State of New Jersey, an individual is facing a $1,000 surcharge on their insurance for 3 years as well as any other insurance rate increases that your individual insurance company may assess based upon a finding of guilt or a plea of guilty to driving under the influence. In any case, I would contact an experienced drunk driving attorney in the State of New Jersey to discuss your situation as, although it’s a first offense DUI, your individual case may have defenses that a layman may not see.
Keith Hirschorn, P.C., is an experienced criminal defense attorney working throughout the state of New Jersey. If you have any questions regarding the merits, facts or circumstances of your case, call the law office, located in Hoboken, to set up a free initial consultation.